Saturday, May 26, 2007

Another challenge and some questions

Beate is featuring another Friday challenge and since I haven't been participating in my regular SCS challenges this week I figured I might as well attempt hers!



Bone Jour Beate! Card Recipe

Paper: Bashful Blue, Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Gazebo Stripe DP (Chatterbox)
Ink: Basic Black, Bordering Blue
Stamp Set(s): Ruff Day
Accessories: Buttons (Misc non-SU), Prismacolour Pencils, Gamsol, Paper Piercer, Corner Rounder, Aquapainter

Note: Card is 4.25x4.25 (following Beate's instructions)


Alli vs the Questions Part 5

1. Do you have a certain style that you favor over others/that you enjoy doing more?

I am always about trying something NEW! I would say there isn’t a particular style that I favour more than I just love trying everything. That being said, I know own the Bo Bunny flex ruler and I see a LOT of waves on my cards in the near future.

2. When you did the petals and paisley tin do you paint the tin first. Your edges look so smooth.

Yes I painted the tin. I didn’t paint the entire tin though. I just painted the areas I knew would be exposed as well as the edge. I used a sanding tool after that and perhaps that helped with that smooth look you were talking about.

3. I am wondering what inspires you? Do you read a lot of magazines or does it just come to you?

I didn’t start reading a lot of magazines until March. Now I am looking for inspiration in layout, colour, design, style and not simply from card or scrapbook magazines but also from products and fashion. Best example, go into your cupboard and pull out a soup tin. Follow the lines. Where the image is add it to your card in the same place, same thing goes with the sentiment. I literally look at EVERYTHING for inspiration (but as you read above I am especially drawn to colour). I also keep a journal by my bedside because I often come up with ideas in the middle of the night. Some days I create 5 of my ownn designs, some days none.

4. How do you find time to keep it updated and looking so great?

Time…time is of the essence. I have to admit I have spent many a night up until the cows come home. But more recently I have prioritized things and I am trying to start a project in the morning (30 minutes) and then complete it once the kids go to bed. When hubby has days off I get a nice 5-6 hour creative break and just go to town organizing my room, browsing through blogs, updating my blog and creating new things. I am a firm believer that if you schedule in a little time each day for crafting you will find it easier to accomplish as the months go on.

5. I'd like to see some blog tips. How do you like to photograph your creations? How long does it take you to make something usually?

I am really keen on answering all parts to this question but do the blog tips mean ways of maintaining a blog? Or do you mean card tips?

I like to photograph my cards using my daylight fluroscent lamps over top of a piece of white cardstock. I usually place a piece of white paper against the wall too. I revealed my photo tips a few months back on this post.

It can take me anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to do a card. If it requires many steps it can take longer. On average I would say that I can stamp a card in 30-45 minutes, especially if there are rules to follow. I find I can create a card quicker with my own design in mind.

6. My question is where does all this inspiration come from and how do find the time to be so productive and creative? I love your blog and stop by often.

See above post. But remember, set a goal for what you want and work towards it. It may start by FORCING yourself to stamp 15 minutes each day no matter how tired you are and then you can just work with it from there.

7. My stamping goal is to learn to do the two step stamping. I can never line them up to look good. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I usually tell all stampers what you create is ART. No one told Picasso how to draw and even if they did he didn’t care. When I use two step stamps the outcome is not always “perfect” but it is art. If I am having a picky day and I want my images to line up perfectly I either grab my acrylic stamps OR I grab my stamp-a-ma-jig.

8. How many design teams are you currently on and how did you find out about them?

I wish I could answer that I am on LOTS of design teams but the truth is I am not on a single team (at the moment). My goal is to get published, work on a few projects and then work my way towards BIGGER things. And trust me, these things are all in the works. I am currently a guest instructor on the Scor-Pal website, a rubber reviewer for Rubber Stamping Fun and I will be designing some cards and putting tutorials together for a LSS in the near future. I would LOVE to work on a design team. Anyone want me? *lol* In the meantime I am designing for all of you and I am LOVING it. Papercrafts and teaching people are my passion.

That's all for today. Thanks again for all your questions. I still have many more to get to in the weeks to come. Hope you find time to stamp for at least 15 minutes today... the longer the better.

Because I love to stamp and you do too!
Alli

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your card is super gorgeous and fun!!!! Love everything about it. Your coloring, the colors you chose, the papers you chose, the little patterned paper on the "buckle" and those buttons! Simply darling!

Elizabeth Royalty said...

Love this!!! Those buttons are really fab!

Sherrie said...

So cute Alli. Love your playful pup. Good job on answering all those questions, you have such a creative mind.

Rose Ann said...

Your card for Beate's challenge is so cute! I love everything about it!

Stampernmore said...

I love this card! I love how you used the paper strip on the buckle part and your fun colors. Great job!