Friday, April 11, 2008

Garden of Life (4)

I am going to start this post by wishing my brother Drew a HAPPY 30th! Today is his big day. He's the baby in the family...so I have to make a big deal out of this birthday!!!

When I created Garden of Life I wanted a set with lots of potential. As you follow me this week you will "see" what I mean.

Today's project=FUN!

What you will need
1) Polyshrink/shrinky dink is one of my all time favourite things to craft with. If you have never used this product you should know that it comes in thin flexible sheets. Once heated, it shrinks approximately 45-50% and becomes thick and strong. Read more about it HERE.



I bought some polyshrink from a LSS as well as shrinky dink from Michaels here in Canada. It comes in a variety of colours including: brown, white, translucent, clear, and black. I have spoken to a few of my US friends who recommend Lucky Squirrel Products, as an online source. You might also check Michaels (or other source) in the US. For the International visitors, you might google "Shrink Plastic" and your country and see what sources come up.

2) You will also need a sanding block (If you buy ready sanded polyshrink you don't need this block)



3) A piece of dowel (or a form of some sort--you can see mine in Step 5 below)

Are you ready for a fun project??? Something you can wear?

Step 1:
I began by cutting strips of polyshrink to 1x5.5 (this size may vary) using my hobby blade. You can use your paper cutter but it wares the blade quickly. To prepare my surface for stamping, I sanded it with a 320-400 grade sanding (no need to sand if pre sanded)

Step 2:
I stamped on my strips of polyshrink using my Palette ink. You can also use StazOn.



Step 3:
Using a corner rounder punch, round all four points.



Step 4:
PROCEED WITH CAUTION! (read ALL steps before attempting)
Set your oven to the temperature listed on your "polyshrink instructions"...mine says 350.

Place your polyshrink strip decorated side up on your cookie sheet (I have an old one JUST for crafting). Heat for 1.5-2 minutes.

It's fun to watch it heat. You'll see it start to curl and twist. Don't worry, it flips back and flattens 9.99 times out of 10.



Note: Because each type of polyshrink shrinks differently you may want to play around with a few practice pieces first. Don't worry, I had a few of those too!

This is what it looks like after shrinking.



Step 5:
At this stage you can take it out of the oven using a flipper and IMMEDIATELY place it around your dowel/form (you have between 10-15 seconds before it hardens again). Keep in mind that the polyshrink is going to be hot so I strongly advise you to wear gloves to protect your hands from the heat when "forming" your polyshrink.

Note: The dowel/form needs to be the right finger size. If you need help determining your ring size check out this International Ring Size site. I wear a size 6 ring so my bead container was the closest in diameter and circumference (ugh did I just you MATH terms???!!!) Also, make sure that whatever form you choose you can withstand heat since the polyshrink will be hot.



This ring is rounder than it appears in this photo *lol*


And now to the finished product!



You can see by this photo that you don't need to have a ring that wraps completely around your finger...it just has to be big enough to hold it in place. (Refer to the wildflower and rose ring below)



These beautiful rings are fabulous for all occasions. I think I will whip up a few for my friends (birthdays), for kids goody bags, for Mother's Day and more!



Supplies

ink: Black
Palette Ink (on the clear and white) and White StazOn (on the black)
stamps: Garden of Life (Urban Design) by PTI
accessories: Polyshrink
tools: oven, form, sanding block


Thanks for stopping by and leaving me comments yesterday. In my usual giving spirit, I have drawn a number using the random generator and am awarding Garden of Life to guest #9 Cheryl Sims who said

I looked and looked to see which I like the best, but I can't make up my mind. First I say the rose, then the mum, and then I say, but the wildflower is really cute. Guess you have a winner there!!!

Cheryl, please send me your snail mail!!! And btw, I LOVE your answer *smiles*

...only 3 days left...be sure you tune in again tomorrow you just never know what's in store!

55 comments:

Catherine said...

Alli, I just love it. I've never used PolyShrink and maybe this is the right time to use it...what a cute project. I can't wait for this set =)

Beth Thomas said...

These are so cute! I love PolyShrink, also! Besides for personal crafting, my GS Troop just used it to make some really cute SWAPs to exchange when we went camping. They would love these rings!

~kelly marie~ said...

Wow! This is such a great idea! It has really inspired me to try the polyshrink. Thank you for such a great tutorial!

Lynn Mercurio said...

What a wonderful project, Alli. Great imagination and creativity.

Anonymous said...

I am totally in love with this idea. I see alot of burn marks in my future. Love your new set. donna calamari

One Creative Life said...

Wow this is a fantastic idea! I must try it, but now I cant decide which flower I like. They all look fabulous as a ring! I cant wait until the 15th!~Erica

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I would never have thought to use poly shrink to make a RING!! You are truly very talented and so creative!! I love your rings and can't wait to pop this wonderful set into my cart on the 15th!!

Ruth Shanahan Allmart said...

What a neat idea Ali. I can't wait for the 15th :o)

Cheryl said...

Another clever project that you designed Alli. Who would have thought to make a ring out of polyshrink. I have some that it is already sanded and will try this. thanks for choosing my name for this set. I am so anxious to get it. It is the best one yet.
Cheryl Sims

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you made rings with polyshrink and stamps. You are so clever. Never tried polyshrink but I just might have too.

B said...

Oh wow! Super cute! I'm going to have to try something similar!

Anonymous said...

Great idea ... I love using Polyshrink, but never attempted jewelry. I am going to have to try this. This set is defintly a must have ... thanks for all your inspiration Ali ~

Aimee said...

oh cool would never had thought to make rings with it...

Stefanie said...

Wow Alli, what an innovative idea! How do you think of these awesome things? They are even prettier with your beautiful flower stamps. I can't wait to order this set on the 15th.

K said...

Oh wow! That is just so incredible. Now, I know what to do with my Shrinky Dink that I bought at Michael's. These are beautiful and I can't wait to order your set.

Lesa said...

I Love this!!! I have several friends that love different kinds of rings so I think I will try making them some for their birthdays. Great idea.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oh how fabulous, Alli! I didn't even know you could do this with Polyshrink! Awesome!

Karen said...

How inventive! They have a retro feel to me. (Once you hit 50+ I think everything has a retro feel) Your constant creativity always inspires me. Thanks for sharing.

Crestajune said...

very cool project! I am really loving this new set! Can't wait to see more. =)

Anonymous said...

This is a really great idea! My nieces would love these.

Charmaine

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! How cool would this be for a girls party favor, they could even make them themselves! And for Girl Scouts! We're always looking for fun things for them to do. I can't wait until the 15th!

Dale Anne Potter said...

What a FABULOUS idea Allie!
I can't wear metal, so I'm going to be making a few of these for myself!!!
GREAT JOB!

Anonymous said...

This is the cutest project. I can just see making these with young girls. My 10 year old would love this!! We are moving cross country this summer, so this would be really fun to do with all her friends before we leave. Thank you for a fantastic set and amazing inspiration!!

Jennifer S

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm definately going to try this! I have two granddaughters that would love to have custom rings to wear ... what a clever idea!

Melissa said...

This looks like so much fun! Thanks for the tutorial Alli!

Christina Fischer said...

Oh, how fun! My daughters would love these! I wanna see more! :)

Unknown said...

What a cute project - great idea!! That Polyshrink is so much fun!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've got quite of bit of this polyshrink so I'm really excited to give this project a try! Thanks for sharing such a fun project that even kids could enjoy.

Have a terrific weekend - Regina Davis

Cat said...

VERY neat idea. your rings turned out so cute... i guess i need to pull that shrinky dink paper out that i've been 'saving' :)

Melissa said...

These are SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!! I don't have any girls. . .but I would love to make these to give to the girls in my son's class! I am definitely going to try this! Thanks so much for sparking my creativity!!

Jamie said...

ohhh....my mind is racing with all the springy/summery rings I could make. thanks for this yummy idea :)

Anonymous said...

I love the flowers in this set, Alli! I can't wait to get it.

Angie said...

How brilliant! I've never used poly shrink, but this makes it tempting to go get some and play.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea! My two favorite things jewelry and stamping. I am going to have to try this!! Can't wait for the next sneek peak! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cool! I bought some polyshrink a month ago and haven't used it yet. What a perfect project to try it out on.

Anonymous said...

These are great. I have been wanting to try polyshrink for months. I think I am going to go out and guy some now! Thanks!!!

Emelyn said...

This is such a great project! I can't wait to play with the polyshrink... only I'm going to make napkin rings instead of finger rings. I'll just increase the size. Who knows maybe I'll make some wine charms to match. Great gift idea! Ooooh, I can't wait to play. By the way, I love the set too! Gorgeous!

Tamara said...

I bought shrink plastic months ago, but I haven't used it yet. This might be a good way to start :)

Thanks for the idea!

Dawn Easton said...

Get out! Alli that is the coolest crafty idea I have seen in a long time!! Wouldn't my daughter love to make these with her friends?! Awesome idea and thank you very much for sharing!

Bethany Paull said...

What an idea! I like the black on white rose one.

Lynn said...

Love 'em! May have to go get some polyshrink and try that out! What great little present toppers those would make!

Kevin Renz said...

OMGosh, what perfect timing! How did you know :) I just bought some shrinky dink and have been waiting for a project to try it out on. I'd be like the Mervyn's lady tapping at the window saying "open", "open", "open", but the release is in Cyberspace. Oh well, I guess I can think it huh?

Jak Heath said...

I love these Alli, I think I can see me having 10 made for my fingers and toes, I have 2 daughters who will love them too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great idea. I can hardly wait until the 15th

Charlene Austin said...

GET OUT!!!!!! I am in love with this idea. Just imagine how many colors and stamps can be used. I want one of every color and I think my 10 year old niece is going to be loving me!! LOL.

C said...

What an awesome idea!!! Sheer genius!

Anonymous said...

I love the black ring with the white flowers!!! How cool!

Bee's Zen Garden said...

Thanks for the tutorial! My previous attempts at polyshrink have been disasters, but I used my heat gun, maybe I should try the oven, mine never flattened again and it didn't get that thick either...

Anne said...

This idea is too perfect! I have three daughters who would love this project! Thanks!!!!

Anonymous said...

This would be such a fun project to make some mother daughter rings with my little girl! I love this idea! Great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I'm thinking of making some cute toe rings for summer sandal wearing.

Anonymous said...

Genius! My cousins would LOVE these! I love your blog!

Donna Baker said...

how cool! never thought of making a ring out of polyshrink - very clever

DoxieGirl said...

SHUT UP!!! This is beyond fabulous! Totally doing this! Must have this set, must have polyshrink, must, must, must! :)
~Kendra

Kim's Life said...

Love it. Thanks!!!!