Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wise Owl Book Tutorial

I am excited to bring you a step by step mini book tutorial today. I like that this project has very few steps as well as endless possibilities for its use. While I created this book to fill it with inspiration (stamp design inspiration) you could also create a notebook for shopping lists, quotes that inspire you, a phone book, a gift for a friend or teacher, a doodle book or joke book for your little ones and much more.

Here are the supplies you will need:
  • computer paper
  • polka dot basics and wise owl stamp sets
  • cardstock and ink
  • needle and embroidery floss
  • tape
  • corner rounder
  • other: markers, ribbon
Begin by cutting your cardstock to 4.25x5.5 (standard card size) and score the center of your card. Stamp polka dot pattern over the entire sheet. Heat set to dry (or set aside to dry).



Next, use the corner rounder to round corners.



Cut a piece of cardstock 4x5.25 and stamp it. Heat set to dry. Now prepare your computer paper by cutting several sheets to 3.75x4.75. You are free to add as many sheets as you would like but keep in mind that the thicker the book, the smaller the paper needs to be cut (adjust accordingly). Score the center of your papers.



You can either stamp a variety of quotes on your computer sheets or you can leave it blank--the choice is yours.

Pierce through all your computer papers (you may have to pierce through a few at a time if you have lots) using a needle or special piercing tool. Center it over top of the inside piece of cardstock (the black one you see above) and pierce through the cardstock too. Repeat at the bottom. You'll note that I pierced the paper 1/4 from the top and the bottom on a foam mat.



Once you've pierced through all the layers top and bottom, thread the pages to the cardstock using embroidery floss.



Tighten the floss by pulling it through the back of the cardstock and adhere it with tape.



Once the embroidery floss is taped down adhere the black inner layer to the inside of the red cardstock.



I used the scraps leftover from my inner to make polka dot strip on the outside. I also stamped my image and sentiment. Then I coloured my image. I added the final touch of ribbon and adhered it to the front of my mini book. You could add buttons and die cuts or keep it simple with a stamped sentiment.




If you have any further questions regarding this project either leave them in the comments section of this post or in the convo box to the right and I'd be happy to answer them.

Have a super day!

Alli

13 comments:

Marlou McAlees said...

this is fabulous!!! TFS :) x

Bonnie said...

Fantastic Alli! Great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

What a great little notebook and easy. I think I'm going to make these for my daughter's birthday with a matching pen. She can hand tham out to her classmates. Thanks for the tutorial.

Elizabeth S. said...

Thanks for the turorial. This is great!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for sharing this. Can't wait to make one.

Julia Aston said...

Thanks for sharing the deets on this sweet little book!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I am definitely going to give this a try :)

Christina Fischer said...

Alli, this is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial!

I'm so happy for you and your return to PTI -- can't wait to see what you design! :)

Mary Duffek said...

Thanks for the Congrats...and lovey this little owl book. Too cute!

Emily said...

This is too cute! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Sandy Knecht said...

This is so cool! Thanks for the tutorial.

Heather Ulmer said...

oh how smart! thanks for sharing

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial...looks like something I could manage, lol!