Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Introducing Shapes By Design!

Let me begin by thanking everyone for the amazing outpouring of sweet comments and e-mails regarding my new journey. I have spent the last few days reading your comments and smiling--it's been very surreal (in a good way!). It really means so much to me that you leave me special notes to read every day!

I am very excited to share today's project, one of many, until the official release date February 15th. My first stamp set from the Urban Design collection is called Shapes By Design which will be available through Papertrey Ink. I just LOVE this set because it is so versatile and can be used for all occasions, cards, home decor and scrapbooking. In addition it's gender neutral so you can even make those hard masculine cards!!!. It was also created to coordinate nicely with various products and accessories that I already own (and I am sure you have some/all of it too *lol*) I plan to show you exactly what I mean in the days to come. In addition, the stamps can be used in conjunction with each other, alone as well as to create backgrounds. It truly is a set with endless possibilities.

Today's Project: Hinge card with belly band


I placed a white piece of stampers select 8.5x11 cardstock vertically on my paper cutter and cut to measure 5.25 x4. Then I used my Scor-Pal to score at the 2 inch mark followed by the 5 3/4 mark. (Yes...those observant folks will see that this piece of paper measure 4.25...but you still want to make it 4 *lol*--I did that after the fact)
I also cut: 1) a piece of cardstock (I chose black) to measure 5.25x4 and scored at the 2 inch mark so that the fold matches the 2 inch mark to the piece mentioned above.
2) the cardstock base at 5.5x4.25 and used a light blue.
3) cut a cardstock insert at 5x3 3/4 using some leftover white textured prismatic paper by Prism


I decided to use black and white to make my image pop. I stamped repeated images up to the fold and on the other side of the fold. You'll notice I didn't cross over. Don't forget, when you are stamping with pigment ink you want to give it plenty of time to dry before adhering it.
(Doesn't my stamp look loved already??? *smiles* and yes...that flower is a little bit of Nichole!--got some butterfly kisses???)


Next, I adhered my black stamped cardstock to the long white cardstock at the 2 inch fold. I matched the seams up.


I wanted to add a splash of colour so I chose this subtle but elegant blue called soft sky by SU!. You can see that I stamped my greeting first in black followed again in blue. I created a 3-d look by offset stamping, meaning I moved the stamp slightly (VERY slightly) to the right and stamped over the words again. In addition, I did some two step stamping using the blue as the solid base and some Palette Black for the outline using the outline circles stamp.


Using a 1/2 inch x 9 inch piece of black cardstock I gently bent the edges over the base of my cardstock to create a belly band for my card. I choose this yummy stitched ribbon to act as an accent and tied a knot in the centre to give it some character.


I adhered the 2 inch stamped pocket along the side edges of the card--lining up exactly with the edge (Note: If you want to use it as a gift card holder don't glue the centre of it)


Here is the finished look (minus my personal greeting and signature!)


To finish off my card I placed the belly band over the flap (that folds out) to keep everything in place.
And voila a card that can be used for ALL occasions especially for those times you want to incorporate a gift certificate.

supplies
paper: Stampers Select White by Papertrey Ink, Basic Black by SU! and White Prismatic by Prism
ink: White Craft Ink by SU!, Black Palette Ink by Stewart Superior
stamps: Shapes by Design (Urban Design by Alli Miles) Papertrey Ink
accessories: Soft Skye Double Stitched Ribbon by SU!
tools: scor-pal


If you decide to make a hinged card following the instructions above please link back in the post below. I'd love to see your creative genius at work.

Thanks for sharing in this joyous moment. I'm still pinching myself.

Have a super day!

Alli

P.S. Yes, that is a recent photo of me...and YES I now have short hair so if you are looking for me at CHA don't be surprised to see me looking different *lol*

60 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the simple elegance! The design is very classy yet the stamp is quit intricate with the little flowers. Cute idea with the gift card and belly band.
Justine

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

Wow...now I can't wait to see more..You are Awesome Alli!!!Cute picture too!!! (((Hugs)))

Stampinsilvia said...

Congrats Ali!!! How exciting it must be! I am a frequent stalker but never posted, so I thought I would let you know how cool I think this is!

Love what I have seen so far of your new set!

Susie said...

Great tutorial! Love the card and that it is also a gift card holder.

Elizebeth said...

Beautiful! I love that circle with the flowers!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see all your designs. This card is lovely!!

Debbie Olson said...

Yay, Alli! I'm tickled PINK for you! Great card, great set!

Traveling Mama said...

Hey Alli, I LOVE your new set! One of my goals this year was to find a good "guy" set or a set that was versatile enough to make guy cards. I'm really excited to see your set released! The fonts are awesome too!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you!!! Can't wait to see more of this set, and OWN it!!!

Bonnie said...

This is fabulous!! Thank you for sharing! and congratulations on your new venture!

Kylie Swain said...

Ali, what a brilliant idea for a card. This turorial will come in handy, I'm sure.
Congratulations on Urban Designs and the set's associated with it. I love versatile stamps so I will be looking forward to release day.

Happy Crafting,
K.

Anonymous said...

Ali,
What a beautiful card! I love the idea of non-gender based stamp sets! Boy is this one going to fit right at home in my collection! Can't wait to see what else you have to offer!

Congratulations on Urban Designs! And thanks for bringing us along for the ride through your blog!

snarflemarfle said...

Beautiful! Congratulations on your new venture!

InspiredByInk said...

Hi Alli!
Beautiful Picture AND beautiful stamps!!! I'm so happy for you... I can say I knew you when we used to hang out in the PTI chat room late on the 14th. Who thought I'd ever hang out there to see YOUR stamps! woo hoo! I'm so excited for you.

Bobbie :)

Unknown said...

Your set looks wonderful Alli!! I can't wait to see more! :) How terribly exciting for you!!

Broni said...

Beautiful card, Alli! I can't wait to see the rest of your stamp set. Looks like something I probably can't live without!!

Beth said...

classy and elegant! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Your card has so many elements in it. Love the fact that is a hinged card (I've never tried that) and the way you have tied the ribbon. You have given me some great ideas. Thanks and welcome to Papertrey Ink.
Genie

Jackie W. said...

Your card is stunning! I can't wait to get my hands on that stamp set! I love the one you used and it looks so amazing on the black. Congratualtions to such a talented stamper! I look forward to seeing much more! All the best!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous & so striking - cool design - can't wait to see the rest of your set.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I really like this project. I'm looking forward to seeing more samples with your stamps. It's a must have already! Congrats on your new adventure. It seems to be off to a successful start :)
~ jess k

Lauren (mytime) said...

YOU just totally rcoked it Allie!
I cannot wait to share my desings with you too. I LOVE this set. It all lines up so beautifully!
Congrats again-

Alhambra Club said...

Awesome, I would look at that set and be completely at a lost you are awesome, love it.

Crestajune said...

I haven't really commented on your blog before, but I visit often. I had to tell you today that I love this set. It is so cool, just as I knew your stamps would be. I can't wait to be able to purchase them! Awesome job, Alli!

Bee's Zen Garden said...

Congratulations on your new stamps line Urban Designs and this 1st set! I love the geometry of it.

This must be quite an adventure! Enjoy! :-)

Becca McKenzie said...

Congratulations on your designs. I can't wait to see the whole set! I love what I have seen so far!

Beth Thomas said...

Alli- This is incredible. Course, no surprise there with your super talent! I can't wait to see more of your awesome designs. Thanks so much for this awesome tutorial, as well! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing card with an amazing set! This will be fun to see all the samples over the next few weeks. Congratulations!

Jenifer Cowles said...

Congratulations, Ali this couldnt have happened to a better person. You inspire me beyond words and I look forward to your projects and will enjoy the your journey with you. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

uh oh!! I can feel my purse crying out already!! I think I'm going to LOVE this!
Starla

Amy said...

First I want to say Thanks so much for the sweet comments you've been leaving on my blog, it really means a lot that you would come and visit and comment, and say such nice things. Thanks
and second
HOLY FREAKIN' COW!!!!!! THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!! Yah I'm kinda screaming that at the top of my lungs. I kinda this, A LOT!!! I am just so excited for you. I can't wait to be able to get my hands on all your upcoming sets.
Keep creating those Fabulous cards, you have an amazing gift, thank you for sharing it with me, well the rest of the world too.
Amy

Niki Estes said...

Great card, Ali! Can't wait to see the rest of the set and I love that they coordinate with the punches and nestabilities.

Anonymous said...

Love the card you created Alli! The set is awesome and I am so honored to be among the first to see and use it! Can't wait to see what else you create!

Geny C.
http://madisonavenue.typepad.com

Jen Cozz said...

Beautiful card! Congrats on your new venture. Can't wait to play with your designs!

Anonymous said...

I admire your work and this is no exception. The stamp design is fabulous and yes, these will be in my cart on the 15th!!!! How could they not be...I need them! tee hee. Heather J.

Elizabeth Bracco said...

Very nice. I really love the simplicity of the overall design and the intricate details to each.:)

Stampin' Project Junkie! said...

Wonderful Ali!! Going to have to make one!!! or 10 lol

Anonymous said...

I love the "chocolate" cookies.
I had just finished lunch and a friend referred me to your site.

And I looked at what you did with the stamps and it reminded of chocolate cookies or chocolate mints. And I don't have one in the house (VBG)
Love the idea of non-gender based stamps.
Marda

Anonymous said...

Alli - I am absolutely thrilled about your new venture. Your designs are fabulous!!!! Well done you!!
Got to get my latest PTI order placed.
xo
Mandy

Charlene Austin said...

WOW! Beautiful card. I love the layout of it. Way to go on an amazing design for your first set. I am thrilled with it and I LOVE the fonts of the words and the way you did the "slightly" moved second stamped image. Keep up the great work.

Jillabella said...

Oh you weren't kidding! This is gorgeous!!! Great job and congratulations again Alli!!! See ya in a few days! xoxo

Julie Campbell said...

Oooh! Look how cute you are, you little supermodel! :) Can't wait to see your hair!

I LOVE your new set! It's so fresh!

Kerry Johnson said...

Love your new pic! It's canadian - with you wearing a toque and all!! Love your set - I'm sure it's no coincedence that your card is using the same sort of images and colours as your new logo. Can't wait to see the whole thing. Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Beautiful card, beautiful design, and I'm SO excited to see the rest of the stamp set!! I love the hinge at the bottom of the card with the band to hold it up and the pocket for the gift card...genius! Congratulations!!

~Michelle

Sandie52 said...

What a terrific stamp set, Alli! So sophisticated, yet simple in design. How inspired I am with the repeating design to make a unique background! Thank you soooo much for sharing your creativity with us!!

Rose Ann said...

Great card and set!! Love it! (Aren't you the cutie, too!)

Granna said...

I love your tutorial...always looking for a card that can hold a photo or gift card. Your designs are great and so versatile. The look is very crisp and sharp. Thanks again for shaing.

Christina said...

Hi,
I love this set and I can't wait to see what is done with it.
Thanks,
Christina Vertefuille

Unknown said...

Congrats Alli! Will you know let me tell you that I told you so? I knew you would make it big!! You must be incredibly proud, as you should be. Your card is beautiful! I cant wait to see the whole set. Thanks for inspiring me again.

Trudee said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! Congrats on your fabulous stamp set!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, elegant...it's so you!! LOVE IT! Love the great instructions, and can't wait to the PTI unveiling. What a great set...and I do have Butterfly Kisses! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your instructions are primo. I feel like you are in the room with me telling me step by step what to do. Beautiful simplicity and elegance!

Stefanie Staniak said...

Absolutely love the geometric designs. They always leave a clean yet elegant style. I'm sure that I'm going to love the complete set.

Stefanie -

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Ali~Absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to try this..Chris

scrappingranny said...

Lovely. I'm always looking for something for the men in my life. This would work up beautifully in masculine colors. Thanks for a great tutorial too.
Melodye@columbus.rr.com

Anonymous said...

I love this set. I thought those flowers were embossed. I read the directions a couple of times to finally see how it was done. Can't wait to see more creations and of course buy the stamp set. Keep creating!! You are a natural.

Anonymous said...

You look so cute in that picture! I love your short hair!

Your project looks wonderful! Awesome tutorial. I am still tickled pink for you!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I just love your style! The architectural feel to the stamps are really nice and they seem to be such a versatile design! I love the layout of this card and can't wait to try it out. The addition of the pocket for the GC and the belly band are really cute. Congrats on your new gig and best wishes!

Marla said...

what a simple beautiful set of stamps. I would LOVE to win these because they would make a great addition to my stamp collection.