Saturday, January 10, 2009

Update and Q+A

Hello everyone. As of yesterday around 1PM (shortly after I posted about Publishing Cards) I came down with the flu. I was in bed before the kids last night and spent most of today in bed too. I am slowly but surely feeling well enough to be up for a few hours. I have a scrapbook page to share with you and am hoping to get it posted some time tomorrow as long as I am feeling better.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my post yesterday. I have such a passion for teaching so sharing things just comes naturally. I have answered a few questions about my post and thought others might want to see the answers too.

Your questions about getting published:

Q:
I am not that great at identifying what a magazines style is. I have sub'd to papercrafts on and off for years but I don't think I could have found the words you used to describe them. Could you give us a run down as to what each card mags style is?

A:
I wish I could answer this question with certainty but there are some limiting factors:

1) There are hundreds of different magazines out there and I have only seen/read/studied a select few.
2) There are limited types of paper craft magazines that I can buy in my community and surrounding communities
3) I think it would take me over a week to report on every magazine.

However, here are the things you should look for:

* What materials are commonly used in this magazine?
* Who is getting published in this magazine? (Look at their style--google their name and see if they have a blog and study their work)
* What types of projects and cards are featured in this magazine? Are they detailed cards? Are they simple cards? Are they layered? Are they stampy or scrappy?
* Are the patterned papers, embelishments, stamps older or newer (this is where you would have to be checking online stores or manufacture websites--I receive a newsletter from a few of my fav stores so I know what new things they are bringing in. I also follow CHA news. You'll notice that a lot of companies are posting sneak peaks for CHA right now).
* Is there a 1) Vintage style (lacy, old tattered, pre-printed, simple colours look to it?--Melissa Frances is a company that sells what I call vintage. Also, Crafty Secrets has vintage style stamps) 2) Grunge/ alternative style: a perfect example is Tim Holtz If you take one good look at his blog banner you can TOTALLY get an idea about what I am talking about. A good stamp line to describe this look is The Rummage Bin by CHF. 3) Trendy style: uses newest things; fresh twist on projects--the use of burlap or cardboard or felt or swatches or fabric; in season colours (every year in the fashion/fabric world they announce new colours--this comes down to the scrapbook and stamping world too. I have to say that Nichole Heady is one of the first people that comes to my mind when I think of trends. She has it going from her use of materials and her creative flair, to her PTI colour lines, her stamp lines you name it! Another good place to check out what is trendy is to follow Cath at Moxie Fab World

I hope this gives you a sense of what to look for when you are looking for style. That word is hard to define because I believe it is a perception more than a hardened fact. Style is ever changing and it can be simple or complex. And although I listed three styles above there are so many more.

Q:
Do you think getting published has anything to do with being a known name in the online blogger and DT world? I am just curious if the, "you need to know the right people" rule applies.

A:
Another great question. My first publishing came before my name was in the DT spotlight. I have seen a lot of people in magazines that are not associated with any type of DT and also who do not have blogs. I think that the reason you see so many DT members/bloggers in magazines is because 1) you are familiar with their name and work 2) many of those DT members make cards daily--regular card making means more cards to submit to magazines 3) some DT hire people who work solely to submit to magazines while other companies may provide incentives and encourage their team to submit to magazines 4) some companies have a marketing director who is in touch with magazines and who negotiates "promotional" opportunities.

The bottom line is ANYBODY can be published it just takes the time, effort and persistance. If you are willing to take the chance you have taken the first step. Just don't quit not matter how disheartening it is. Trust me on that one. If I quit all the things I did in life I'd never have had these opportunities. I am eternally grateful.

Oh and really knowing the right people certainly increases your chances of publication. If you submit regularly and consistently you are bound to get known and asked to do freelance work (of course that is still in my dreams--but it does happen).

Again, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I certainly don't know everything but I will share what I know.

Alli

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Alli - I feel your pain - I have the flu since yesterday too - what a fab couple of posts on submitting - you kindly gave me some advice a while ago, which I followed, and I'm happy to let you know that I got a card accepted!!!!!! I erally appreciate your taking the time to help everyone in this way - encouragement is often the key!! hope you feel better soon!!!