Monday, July 14, 2008

Wise Owl (1)

I have had way too much fun designing things to show you these past few days. I have lots of tidbits for you today and will even give you one more peak later today...

First of all, I wanted to share my creative outside of the box side. When I was playing with owl bits I suddenly saw a reindeer. Yup...a reindeer from an owl set. I just had to go with it.

1) I began by outlining my card with the embossed square (see tutorial here). Then I stamped the circle strip from Faux Ribbon on the top and the bottom.

2) Next I stamped my owl outline and cut it. Then I stamped the eyes and punched them with a 1/2 circle punch (see here). I also stamped the owl belly (which became a nose).

3) I added pop dots to give dimension to my reindeer. I also cut a few paper strips to make legs.

4) I added the mistletoe from Believe and the Season's Greetings sentiment from Faux Ribbon.



Here is a close up. This reindeer just makes me smile.



Supplies

Stamps:
-Wise Owl (Urban Design) by PTI
-Believe by PTI
-Faux Ribbon

Ink:
-Espresso by Ranger
-Noir Black by Palette

Cardstock:
-Stamper's Select White by PTI
-Suede Brown Dark by Prism

Accessories
-Pop dots

Tools
-Wizard
-Nestabilities

After I created my reindeer card I suddenly had an idea to get creative with my nesties. This led to the completion of my next card. I have actually never seen this done before so I wanted to make sure I had photos to show you my process. If there is already a name for this technique please let me know--i'll give credit where credit is due. In the meantime, bare with me as I tell you the "innie" and the "outie" of my lil' owl card.

1) I began making my "innie" medallion (see below for instructions) in the center of my white cardstock. I stamped my owl and coloured him in.

2) Next I masked the medallion with a paper circle and stamped over the cardstock using Polka Dot Basics.

3) Then I adhered my ribbon and stamped my sentiment.

4) I finished the card off with a corner rounder.



When I created this embossed "medallion" I was quite impressed with how it made the perfect focal point on the cardstock. I just knew that my lil owl would fit perfectly.



Supplies


Stamps:
-Wise Owl (Urban Design) by PTI
-Polka Dot Basics by PTI

Cardstock:
-Plum Pudding by PTI
-Stamper's Select White by PTI

Ink:
-Plum Pudding by PTI
-Noir Black Palette

Accessories
-Plum Pudding Topnotch Twill

Tools
-Wizard
-Standard Circle Nestabilities (both sizes)
-Copic Markers
-Corner Rounder by EK Success

The Innie and the Outie with standard circle nestabilities and wizard

1) Creating the "innie" medallion

Place the LARGEST circle on the bottom edge side up and place the SMALLER circle edge side down.


You'll see that they "hug" each other. Then place the rubber mat underneath the circles and place a scrap piece of paper on top. The scrap on top is necessary if you want to avoid the nestie getting stuck in your plate.



This is how it will turn out. Flip it over to see the other side too. It looks just as cool!



2) Creating the "outie" medallion

Place the SMALLEST circle on the bottom edge side up and place the LARGEST circle edge side down.



Here is a close up for you.



Here is a comparison. Now you probably wonder why I call the innie the innie and the outie the outie. If you have a close look at both of them you will notice that each circle has two close rings. The innie has two rings in the center while the outie has two rings on the outer edge. That's how I came up with the name. Again, don't forget to use the flip side of these for a totally different look. Have fun creating with ALL sorts of shapes (not limited to the circles).



I have not yet tested how well this works with the cuttlebug. I imagine you won't get the same deep embossed look--at least that is my experience using the cuttlebug vs wizard.

Wise Owl Tidbits:
--Some sentiments include: owly? and whootin' hi
--There is a straight line in the set that was created to be used in the empty circle (the one used for the wink) for sleepy eyes.

Don't forget to drop by again to see the announced winners of my Wise Owl sets as well as some fun owl expressions--facial expressions.

Also, I had a question about using other pens instead of sharpies on yesterday's project. I am sure there are other good pens to use with polyshrink but unfortunately I am not sure what else to recommend.

Oh one last thing...I visited random.org and congrats goes to

Day (2)
Blogger Lisa & Penny who said...

I can't wait to see the entire set! The barrettes are so cute!!

You are also one of the finalists.

101 comments:

Debbie Olson said...

All, you clever, clever girl! Great ideas, and gorgeous cards!

Anonymous said...

This entry is so amazing! I love everything!!

Maureen said...

You are just too too creative!! That reindeer is so adorable and I love the innie/outie embossing!

Angie said...

Adorable reindeer, and that owl is gorgeous in purple! I still don't own a die cutting machine, but I'm thinking about getting the wizard. Now I have another way to use it! Thanks!

Bunny B said...

Adorable reindeer!!! Love the tips! Thank you!

Heidi said...

Hehehe cute reindeer! I relly like the purple owl card too. Thanks for the tips!

Cass said...

You are a wealth of inspiration! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the reindeer! You are SO talented and I cannot WAIT to get this set!!

Anonymous said...

this set just keeps getting cuter & cuter! Can't wait for the release!

Kim said...

LOL...your reindeer card just makes me smile, he's so cute! Thank you also for showing the innie and outie! I would love to try doing this. Have a great day!
:)
Kim

Molly B said...

Great idea with the nesties. Can't wait to try it with my own owls. -Molly B

StampinCathy said...

Great card. You are so talented. I've really enjoyed all the Wise Owl samples. This reindeer is just to cute and love the embossed circle. Thanks

Diane said...

Brilliant discovery with the Nesties. You are so talented and we all appreciate your sharing your creativity with us!!!

B said...

I love your Nesties discovery!!! That's so cool! I'll have to give that a try! :-) Thanks again for the great inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I love your reindeer made from the owl set, who would believe it! Your medallion is really creative!!
Great ideas!!

Cheryl said...

Great outside the box thinking. So cute. Thanks for the nestie tutorial. Never thought of that.
Cheryl Sims

Anonymous said...

Love the reindeer and the innie and outie medallions! Very creative!

Alison said...

sOOO CREATIVE! I love the reindeer idea. Keep up the creativity! Thanks!

One Creative Life said...

A reindeer whoooo would have thought!LOL! What fun to create all the reindeer on a card. Thanks for your out of the box creativity!

Allison Cope said...

Super, duper creative girl! Now I think I'm gunna have to play with my Nesties again for my very next card!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh! the reindeer is adorable! That makes me think he could be a scottie pretty easily, too. Adorable!

Lisa and Penny said...

I never would have thought about turning the owl into a reindeer. Great job Alli, this could possibly be my all-time favorite set of yours and that's a tough one because I love them all!

Patty Williams said...

The Reindeer is so cute! Whoda thunk it! You did!

Love the innie/outie owl.... I love purple and that is gorgeous!

Lisa H. said...

this is so cool. love your card and all the tips. Looks like this is a MUST HAVE set. you must be sooo proud.

Melissa Flieg said...

Who would have thought you could make a reindeer out of an owl - very cute idea. Also love what you came up with using the nestablities.

postal orphan said...

the reindeer is to die for - this is such a wonderful set! and the innie and outtie idea is terrific - i need a set of those nestabilities dies!

Unknown said...

The Reindeer is so cute and LOL funny, you have a good imagination and I love it! This is such a grand set you have done a wonderful job! I only have a few nesties but I sure love the medalion you created.

Anonymous said...

Very clever, Alli! Your reindeer is very special! Love the tutorials on the Nesties ... can't wait to try!

Chrissy said...

What great ideas! Thanks for showing us how to think outside the box with both the stamp set and the nesties! I love that this owl set is so versatile!

Andrea Clayton said...

Wow a reindeer from an owl! Whooo would have tought :) too cool Alli!

Stacy said...

Love, love that reindeer he is adorable. Can't wait to see the whole set!

Kacey Elliott said...

A reindeer? I never would have thought of that! So Cute! Thanks for the tutorial on the medallion, I am still waiting on my circle nesties, Gosh I hope they get here VERY soon!

Stefanie said...

How cute Alli! It took me a second to "see" the reindeer, but now that I do, he is adorable! Love the medallion idea too. I'll have to try that out.

Anonymous said...

I never imagined an owl being turned into a reindeer! Great job!!
Can't wait to see the whole set!

Alyssa S said...

Your little reindeer is just tooo cute! Very clever :o)

Ashley said...

The reindeer is so cute!! I also love the nesties technique. I will have to try that. Can't wait to see the whole set.

Regan said...

What a cleaver idea- jotted that one down for future

this is a great set Alli

Anonymous said...

What about making a Rudolph for children or Rudolph lovers come holiday times? It's so cute!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Adorable!!!!
You are so darn clever, creative and just love the detail of your tutorials!
Thank you so much!!!

Traci Godbee said...

I have loved all of your projects this week!! i can't wait to have that owl set!!

~ RebekahBoo said...

WOW!!!! HOW CUTE IS THAT LITTLE REINDEER???? I CAN NEVER SEE THOSE "OUTSIDE OF THE BOX" THINGS. I LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so going to try that innie/outie thing. Love that idea! And the reindeer, never would have thought of that...love the versitility.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth Shanahan Allmart said...

Love your card Ali! Can't wait to try this new technique with the Nesties. TFS it with us :o)

Anonymous said...

Thud. Wow, you are a clever, clever girl! THANKS for all you share! The big day is almost here... Hooray!

Unknown said...

oh boy - endless possibilities :) What an adorable reindeer, and thanks for the tip on the nesties! way good to know :)

Charlotte said...

2 more great ideas! I can't wait to get this set...

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I "needed" this owl, but with yours and Nichole's great creativity, I've never seen such versatility in an owl stamp set!
Sandy Kay

Pegg S said...

The cutest reindeer!! This is too cute! And that is such a cool idea for nesties too - what creativity you have!!

Kimberly Crawford said...

So clever!! Gorgeous projects! Thanks for the Nesties tutorial too-that is a great idea that I will have to try!! :)

Anonymous said...

Love what you did with the nesties. Congrats on this set. I know it is awesome. Angelina

Jocelyn said...

Oh Alli, you are soooooo CREATIVE! It's only right that you designed this set 'coz you're just as clever as an owl. :D

Tammy Q Howell said...

Absolutely adorable. I love the reindeer! So cute and the other items are wonderful also. I still haven't broken down and purchased any nestibilities and know I should! With all these wonderful ways to use them, they are worth the price. Thanks for sharing your talent!

Martin and Wieska said...

Cute stuff! I always enjoy checking your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, love the medallion look! Thanks for sharing instructions. Love the reindeer too!

Unknown said...

OMG~ Your reindeer is too cute! And I love what you did with the nesties!

Anonymous said...

Neat ideas! I can't wait to try some of them myself. Looking forward to seeing the entire set.

Anonymous said...

These projects are darling and creative too! Thanks for sharing them.
C Burke

K said...

I have so enjoyed checking out your sneak peeks each day. The reindeer is just too adorable. Thanks for sharing the medallion tutorial too.

Emelyn said...

What a cute reindeer! And I love your medallion! Thank you for your inspiration!

Carrie Dyck said...

Another great idea! Love it

Sara Mac said...

Alli, you have outdone yourself with this post! A reindeer and a new nesties technique. WOW!! Thanks for the great inspiration.

Kryssi said...

very creative use of the nesties!

The 3 Walkers said...

OhMiGosh!! That reindeer is TOOOO cute! My mind NEVER sees stuff that isn't right in front of me, I'm impressed!

I can't wait to try the innie-outie technique, hopefully it'll work with my BigShot. I'll probably have to try a few different times to get the effect just right. What a great idea!

~*Michelle*~

Lueyes said...

What a great idea . . . . making an owl into a reindeer!
And a new idea for nesties! Very creative!

Angela K said...

I love the 'innie, outie' idea I will have to try it out! Can't wait to get this set! You are so creative!

Anne said...

LOVE your reindeer! That is definitely thinking outside the box!!!!!!!!! Also adore how you used your nesties! Guess I'll be adding to my collection, hehe!

Anonymous said...

How cute,-a reindeer! Can't wait to see the entire set tonight.

Val said...

Love the "reindeer owl"!! Sooo cute! I also love how you did the nested circles. That was so neat. Thank You!!

Debbi T said...

reindeer?
YOU ARE TOO SMART!

What a great set!

Jessica said...

That reindeer is adorable! i just love this owl set you've come up with! Add in the versatility of Papertrey's stamps and this is a perfect match. Can't wait to see the set in its' entirity! :)

Tabitha said...

You just keep getting more and more clever with this owl set! Love the reindeer! How cute is he???

Erin said...

WHAT a fabulous idea with the reindeer! I TOTALLY see his little face now in the owl set! Thanks for sharing!
Erin

Anonymous said...

love your reindeer! Your medallion is awesome thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this set. I am sad that when it arrives more then likely I will be busy with band and guard camps :(. This set may help me feel inspired even after 12 hour days :).

Terri said...

Love what you did with the Nesties. I am going to have to try that. I hope it works in the cuttlebug though.
I used my copics to color on shrink plastic yesterday and they worked great. Just make sure not to color on the side you stamp on.
Can't wait to get this set.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I can tell I am going to be needing this set!

Unknown said...

all of your ideas are fabulous and this set rocks! Can't wait to own it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gone for the weekend and I missed SO much! Great projects, love 'em! Thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

OMGoodness I can't wait until your owl set goes live!! Thank you so much for the detailed info on embossing with the nestabilities!!!!!!!

Marge said...

OMH, I cannot believe how creatively talented you ladies all are! How can one resist this set now? Plus in the meantime, we can go play with the "ins & outs" of our wonderous Nesties! Hmmmm, Nesties & owls sure do go together well, just like Birds of a Feather!!! Again, TFS!!!

Lisa and Penny said...

I can't wait to get my hands on that owl set!! Love it and the idea of the extra bellies is so creative. I'm also super thrilled to be a finalist :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow - love the cards and the new technique! I'm looking forward to the owls!! Have a great day. Heather J.

snarflemarfle said...

Reindeer? Awesome!

Innies and Outies? Even Awesomer! (yes, I'm a child of the 80's)

I'm so thankful for all of you that can think outside the box!

Anonymous said...

Very clever, Alli! Everything you do is so inspiring...thanks! Jackie

CaraDee said...

I can't wait to see what I can do with this set! They are the cutest owls.

DeniseLynn said...

OMGoodness!!! You are unbelievable girl!

Anonymous said...

Love these owl projects! Keep up the great work!
Betty-Ann
wilhelmbar@sympatico.ca

Linda Carson said...

I always wonder about doing nesties like that but never gave it a try. Thanks for sharing this & all of your fabulous projects!

Anonymous said...

A reindeer out of an owl, what's next? Such a cute idea! Love it.

Charmaine said...

Great projects...a reindeer out of an owl...who'd of thought?!

Charmaine

Shawn Klinkner said...

Oh I'm freaking out! I can't wait to see the entire set - I love owls and I LOVE what I've seen so far. SO FUN! :)
Dana K.

CurlyCraze said...

You never fail to come up with such a neat twist on how a stamp can be used! Love the reindeer :)

Stephanie said...

You are so great at seeing things in a different and creative way. I am lovin' Wise Owl!

Anonymous said...

This reindeer is so cute! I'm always amazed by you creative people who can see other uses/images in something. I also love your embossing.

Anonymous said...

Love the tutorials you share, it really helps for those of us who are "visual" - thanks for such great ideas and sets! Tina H

scrap en tu idioma said...

I love all your projects. I can't wait to have the owl stamp set in my hands. Thanks for the inspiration

kat said...

Thank you soooo much for showing us how to make the embossed frames with out Nesties; I just tried it with my rectangles and will try w/circles later today. What a great look; so classy.

Unknown said...

These cards are adorable and the Nesties tip is AWESOME! I can't wait to try it!

Your card was featured on Tutorial Tuesday at Card of the Week.com (You can see the original post here: http://www.cardoftheweek.com/2008/07/tutorial-tues-2.html)

I did include a picture of your work and links to your blog and the tutorial. Please let me know if that's OK -- barefootstamper@gmail.com

Thanks for sharing your great work!

Sue from Oregon said...

I think I can do this...with your wonderful tutorial! Thanks so much

Lesley Langdon said...

Now this I have to try!!! You are so clever and love the card!!